January 21, 2010

Super Scrumptious!!

Nourishing & Scrumptious "Mounds" candy bars



"These little tasty frozen candy bars fill my sweet tooth, and are an easy way to get a higher amount of coconut oil into my family’s diet. I used coconut flakes, honey (I prefer raw), homemade chocolate, almond extract, dehydrated almonds, and coconut oil. A delicious and natural combination. Though I haven’t had one for years now, Mounds was a favorite candy bar of mine. These remind me a lot of them because they contain the same type of ingredients.

They have definitely been a hit around here. My husband has been taking them in his lunches (packed next to his ice pack), and my toddler loves them, when cut into small pieces.

And who said you couldn’t have candy bars on a “healthy” diet? With a little creativity, we are denied very few things while remaining committed to a nourishing diet.

I blogged about Nourishing Tradition’s Carob (which I made into chocolate) chip recipe here. It’s quite good. The original recipe used rapadura. I decided to use honey for this project. I think it’s a little easier to get to dissolve into the mixture (always a problem with using rapadura in this recipe), but you can really use whatever sweetener you want. If you use a sweetener like honey, be aware that if you were to refrigerate the chocolate mixture instead of freeze it, it would stay a little softer than if you used rapadura.

“Mounds” Candy Bars-makes 12, large

1 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup of coconut oil
1/4 cup of honey (raw is nice)
1 teaspoon almond extract
36 almonds, left whole or chopped (your choice)

1-Melt the coconut oil and honey over low heat until just melted. Whisk to combine. Add the almond extract and coconut flakes.

2-Now take out your muffin tins (you will need a 12 compartment muffin tin). In each compartment, place three almonds, or divide the chopped almonds) Then, divide the coconut mixture, making sure you get an even mixture of coconut flakes and coconut oil. Place in a freezer (make sure it’s on a flat surface), and freeze until hard (about 30 minutes)





Now it’s time for the chocolate! You will need:

3/4 cup cocoa powder (not dutch cocoa)
1/4 cup of honey (I used a scant 1/4 of a cup)
1 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

3-Combine these ingredients in a 2 cup glass measuring glass and place in a pot of simmering water. Heat until everything is just melted, and remove from heat. Either whisk briskly, or use a hand blender to combine well (the hand blender is the easiest way to do this).

4-Take out the frozen coconut flakes mixture, and divide your chocolate mixture over it (about two tablespoons per muffin compartment).





5-Put back into your freezer, and freeze until hard (again, about 30 minutes). To get them out, simply slide a butter knife down one side, and pop it out. This is very easy to do, as long as you do it directly from your freezer.

Then, enjoy! (and keep them frozen, they melt fairly quickly)"

2 comments:

Syd said...

Wow. Those look really very good.

Unknown said...

yum. I wish I had your baking talent. I know mine would be lopsided and taste odd. Your food always looks so lovely.